Stewart McKie PhD
Phone: +44 (0) 1747 812285
(c) Stewart McKie 2021-22
All rights reserved.
Kickoff meetings are vital at project and project-stage/phase levels
A kickoff meeting is always needed to start both a project or a project stage/phase.
This is a communication and expectation setting event.
The most effective way to structure your kickoffs is to answer the five questions:
(1) WHAT Should be a simple statement that everyone can understand:
e.g. We are embarking on an organizational change management initiative driven by the transition to a new ERP system.
(2) WHY will typically refer to business case objectives and benefit statements.
(3) WHO defines roles and responsibilities of the various stakeholders.
(4) WHEN and WHERE refers to timecales and business units that are in scope.
(5) HOW is where the expectation setting takes place and is typically the most detailed section of the kickoff as it will detail the expected activities and tasks at a summary level so everyone is clear what they are getting into.